Why Linwood – History
Linwood Cemetery and Crematory is a private, non-profit corporation providing year-round burial, mausoleum, and cremation services to discerning families in the Haverhill area. Dating back to 1830 and granted corporate status by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in 1845, Linwood has provided an evolving array of services for over 160 years, building on solid traditions while keeping pace with the needs of their customers.
Linwood’s founders were pillars of the community in Haverhill, and their vision for an independent cemetery that offered perpetual care for future generations gave rise to a business that has served the area with compassion and distinction.
From its modest 5.75 acre origins in southeast Haverhill, Linwood cemetery grew through strategic acquisition of adjacent land, now encompassing 45 acres. Over the years, we have added the chapel, crematory, office, equipment barn, roads, and supporting infrastructure to support Linwood’s growing operation.
Throughout this growth, our founders and managers have remained committed to maintaining the cemetery grounds and buildings with meticulous care. From the trees, shrubs, and flowers to the architectural details of our chapel and the serenity of our waterfall, all development of the cemetery is aimed at creating an environment of beauty and inspiration, now and in perpetuity.
Linwood added cremation services to our more traditional burial services, and also offers the options of burial in a mausoleum or in our indoor Columbarium. We have kept pace with the high expectations of the families and individuals who have chosen Linwood as their final resting place.
Our Trustees have been careful conservators of our resources, ensuring that the cemetery is in strong financial condition today, with the funds to ensure high-quality Perpetual Care of the grounds and facilities now and for the future.